Good morning and happy Friday everyone!
I hope you’ve had a wonderful, productive week! Me, barely keeping my head above water still, but chugging along! Today I’m going to teach you how to cook a whole chicken in your slow cooker. If you’ve never used this method, you’re in for a surprise at how easy it is and how delicious it turns out. But first another
Baby Step to Becoming a #fitmom:
Healthy fats are your friend! AND you should include one at every meal.
- Nuts and seeds, and things you make from them like oils and butters.
- Black Olives
- Whole eggs
- Milk products like cheese and full-fat yogurt
- Fatty fish
- Dark chocolate
Watch your portion sizes! Too much of a good thing is still too much!
How to Cook a Chicken in a Slow Cooker
- Buy a whole fryer or roaster chicken (organic if possible).
- Make a seasoning rub – good basic chicken seasoning: 1 part powdered chicken bouillon or consume and 1 part other stuff.
- Season chicken between the meat and skin (gently separate skin from meat but it doesn’t matter if you tear it, you’re not eating it and not going to enter a cooking contest). Season inside the cavity, and outside of the bird.
- Place BREAST side down in slow cooker, put on the lid, set on high, wait 2-4 hours (timing depends on the slow cooker) and it’s done! Check after two hours using a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh. You should be able to guess how much longer from there.
When you’re done eating the chicken and getting whatever meat you want off the bones, throw the carcass into a freezer bag and freeze it. You’ll find out why next week when I teach you how to make super nutritious bone broth with stuff you usually throw away.
TIP: If you’d like this to be a one pot meal, add cut up vegetables like celery, carrots, potatoes, onions, or whatever to the slow cooker before you put the chicken in. But don’t fill it too much, ingredients in slow cookers need room to cook!
That’s it for this week!If you like, comment or share this you can earn entries in my Kindle Fire Giveaway! This is the last weekend so you better get on that. Click the pic to be taken to the giveaway!