Good morning and happy Friday all ya’ll beautiful people!
Have you started the cereal trick I taught you on Friday? Are you eating less processed food and more fruit? Ready for the next step?
Baby Step to Becoming a Fitmom: You need to start reading the ingredients of the boxes and cans of food you buy and make sure sugar isn’t one of the first three listed. It can be overwhelming, that first time you decide to read in the grocery store. So start small, pick one isle or even smaller and just the cereal you buy. But next week, check more.
The Fitmom Food recipe is Slow-cooker Indian Chicken Stew. I made for the first time last Sunday, and it was so good one of my kids had seconds, and the other one had thirds. Yea! Win! And bonus, it easily fit into my macros for the day.
If you are following a food plan, it is entirely possible to make a big family dinner and enjoy it. You just take a little time early in the day to figure out the rest of your food. If you use My Fitness Pal, which I can’t recommend enough use the handy recipe option. Weigh and input all of your ingredients, servings, and bam, you’ve got everything you need. Save and log it into your dinner option first. Second, if appropriate input any pre, intra-, and post shakes/meals. Then divide any remaining calories and macros for your other meals.
If you are working your baby steps to becoming a fitmom, this is a super-nutritious, delicious, whole food meal. It takes fifteen minutes to put together and requires only a couple dishes to prep and the wash (I don’t have a dishwasher, dishes matter.)
Slow Cooker Indian Chicken and Vegetable Stew
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 carrots,
- 1-2 chayote (if you can’t get chayote you can use potato, sweet potato, camote, pumpkin would be good… you get the idea, but your carbs will go up.)
- 6 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper and/or cayenne pepper
- 1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 2 14 ½ ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces fresh spinach (optional)
- Lightly coat 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add chicken, onion, carrots, chayote, and garlic to the slow cooker. Add curry powder, ginger, salt, and pepper; toss to coat. Stir in beans, tomatoes, and broth. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- If desired, stir in spinach; let stand for 2 to 3 minutes or until spinach starts to wilt.
- Serve in bowls with hot cooked rice if desired.